Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 23: Chiang Kai Shek Memorial, Confucius & Boa’an Temples, Su Ho Paper Museum and Dinner with my family

Today we visited the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. The Memorial Hall was built to commemorate the Nationalist leader and longtime president of the Republic of China. The building is white marble and is surrounded by several gardens and the National Concert Hall and Theater where world-famous performers come here to perform and play.  Although Chiang's aura is now somewhat fading in today's Taiwan, the building's massive size and beautiful architecture still amazes. 


The changing of the guard

The great bronze statue of Chiang Kai Shek inside is as ostentatious as the outside building.
Bronze statue of Chiang Kai Shek



Inside the memorial, we stopped at the museum that displays the history of the Kuomintang (KMT), much of Chiang's offical writings and decrees, and some of his clothing and furniture.  It also displayed some correspondence between Chiang and Sun Yat Sen - it was interesting to see and track Chiang's historical rise to power and the struggles he endured against both Mao and the Japanese.

After the CKS Memorial, it was on to the Confucius Temple - yay Confucius! I am a big Confucius fan :) Confucius is considered to be the greatest of all educators and scholars in Chinese history.  On our way to the temple, we found these cute little guys - they are the "three wise monkeys" representing the proverbial phrase "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".

See no evil

Speak no evil
Hear no evil

The Confucius Temple was as beautiful and ornate as the other temples we have visited - but this one holds a special place because one of the temple's biggest days of the year is Confucius' birthday on September 28th, which is also celebrated as Teacher's Day in Taiwan.  This is a big day with events beginning at 6 AM - Confucius' spirit is remembered with parades and feasts. Wendy tells me it is a big deal in the schools too, in which students always bring their teachers gifts :)

The Inner Wall of Supreme Knowledge
Confucianism is still alive and well in Taiwan - students visit the temple before big exams to pray and ask that they pass all their tests.  Furthermore, Confucianism is instilled in the culture - respect, education, and filial piety are cornerstones of Taiwanese culture.  

Confucius Temple
We walked across the street to Boa'an Temple, which is 200 years old and features many dragon carvings.


And then it was on to the Paper Museum - what a busy day! I learned all about the history, materials, and process of making paper. We also had a chance to partake in a paper-making class and make our own paper. It was a fun experience.
Learning how to make paper
Making my own paper
Almond Ice

On our way back from the museum, we stopped for one of the best desserts I have ever had - and even better yet, it was almond flavored. I love almond flavored anything! This is a Taiwanese specialty. It looks like a big pile of mashed potatoes with butter! 

Our day ended with a feast at Shanghai Story Restaurant. Jacki and Kelly joined me and my family for a spectacular evening of some of the best Taiwanese food I've had yet. I also had the chance to see some of my uncles (my mom's brothers), I have not seen in 25 years! My big aunt (my mom's sister) and cousins were there too.  The picture below is with some of my cousins and my aunt and uncle.

Dinner with my family


No comments:

Post a Comment